Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Nine" Trailer



On my Top 10 Fall Movies and Oscar hopefuls is "Nine," director Rob Marshall's musical adaptation of the Broadway show of the same name, itself a musical adaptation of Federico Fellini's "8 1/2".  If you know me at all, you know I think 8 1/2 is one of the five best films ever made.  Instead of running scared from this film though, I'm embracing it for a possible merger of Fellini and another stage artist famous for incorporating his personality - Bob Fosse (see All That Jazz).  The trailer sizzles with colors and impeccably framed shots - the same kind of dynamic visuals that make me still defend Chicago as an important musical (why people are so quick to dismiss that movie when it clearly signaled such a big shift in how we think about musicals is beyond me - even if Moulin Rouge was better and came a year before...I digress).  Couple that with Daniel Day-Lewis, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, and Marion Cotillard and, to quote Carl Weathers, baby, you've got yourself a stew going.


No comments: