Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Synecdoche, New York - The Mix

Synecdoche, New York - The Mix

Review: "Synecdoche, New York"

* * * * (out of 4)

D: Charlie Kaufman
W: Charlie Kaufman
S: Philip Seymour Hoffman; Samantha Morton; Michelle Williams

This was one of the hardest reviews I've written in a long time, because it took me a while to figure out how to write 500 words on a movie that left me speechless.  But then, starting to write about it, I only uncovered more things I liked, until I ballooned to a review that was about 800 words long.  This gets the gist of it, but hopefully (probably only once the film is on DVD and I can watch it again) I can do a longer piece about its various nuances and specific filmmaking techniques in it that really floored me.  Excellent film, I'm actually considering including it in the Film Club at the end of the semester as a strong conversation piece.  If only I could have waited a few days to do that Top 10 list, because this would surely be near the very top.

No comments: