Wednesday, December 10, 2008

NYFCC Goes Crazy for "Milk", "Happy-Go-Lucky"

*NOTE: If you've been checking regularly, you'll note I haven't done any kind of write-up lately.  If you're not a USC reader, that's because I'm currently swallowed up in exam week.  I planned to do a Currently Watching for The Piano and The Hustler, but my week has been nonstop work.  These awards updates are about all I can muster.  I'll be done on Friday, and the blog should be much livelier for the next month.

On to the news though... New York Film Critics Circle breaks SHARPLY with LA (when this happens, it usually signals a pretty uncertain Oscar year).  Here are their winners:

Picture: Milk
Director: Mike Leigh, Happy-Go-Lucky
Actor: Sean Penn, Milk
Actress: Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky
Supporting Actor: Josh Brolin, Milk
Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Screenplay: Jenny Lumet, Rachel Getting Married
Cinematography: Anthony Dod Mantle, Slumdog Millionaire
Foreign Film: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
Animated Film: Wall-E
First Film: Frozen River
Documentary: Man on Wire

No comments: